I think my tickets for the BlogTrain were about to expire.
I said to a friend once, "If I moved away, I'd do a blog. I'd write it so everyone could keep in touch. So I wouldn't have to send 500 separate emails to you all, informing you of my new life..." She was hurt that I wouldn't send her a special update-email.
And now, although I have recently moved away from where I called home for awhile, I don't have this amazing and informative blog that all my friends and family read. I send them emails and call them and its easier than I ever expected.
So, why am I here then?
For no one other than me? Now, there's an interesting 21st-century female concept... how much do I actually do only for me? I do lots of things I like, but rarely only for me.
Truthfully, I want to be a writer. Not- I like writing. Not- I wish I was SJP smoking and pondering love in my cool NYC apartment. I crave writing. It's what I have to do.
I'm currently a freelancer, and have a very new, semi-regular gig with a local magazine. But, I need more. And, I hope this blog will flex this Writer's Muscle of mine. I am not hoping (right now) to use this as a tool to market myself as a writer. I just hope it will help me to be reflective, open up, get thoughts on paper (the screen), and evolve and mature as a writer.
But, back to blogging. If I am truly doing this just for me, then who knew this very moment would cause me such angst? I must admit, I read some pretty amazing blogs. People who have daily lives, thoughts and interests that are cool enough to keep me coming back for more.
And, I told a friend a week ago I was going to just do it. I was just going to start this blog. And, since then, I have stressed and stressed over what to title it, how to theme it, what I'd write about, etc. It seemed that even though I was supposedly writing this blog just for me, I was really writing it for others too.
And, I think that's the entire appeal with blogging. My theory is this: We are all guilty of peeking in a friend's open journal or snooping through your significant other's things. We've all eavesdropped on the next table over or stole a glance at what size she really wears.
But, on the flip side of that coin, we would die to know that no one was interested in our own lives as we are in others lives. Every person who is writing a blog... secretly, inside.... hopes there is someone else out there who has saved your title in their "Favorites," drools over your new posts and hopes that you'll never find out who they are.
So, with that, I hope to use this blog for myself. But, if anyone else out there is peeking into my electronic underwear drawer, hope you enjoy!
1 comment:
Yay! You have a blog! Welcome to the blogosphere. It's fun.
Post a Comment