I was so excited about breakfast, I published the last post forgetting one thing I wanted to mention.
Last night, I started to re-read A Separate Peace by John Knowles. I am out of books to read, have read every one I own, and the bookclub I'm in doesn't meet again until Friday. I was thirsty and needed a pre-bed read, so I grabbed it off the shelf, reasoning that it had been the one I'd read the longest time ago.
I only read the first chapter before snoozing, but was impressed with Knowles skill in showing and not telling. As a writer, this is something I struggle with doing-- finding just the right words to convey how something looked, felt, sounded, tasted by showing the reader, not just telling the reader.
I am obviously not the only person to notice this; the book's won several awards and been made into a movie. I was most impressed with how he describes the November day that opens the book.
If you haven't read it in awhile (I think my last time was ninth grade, eons ago), then I suggest giving it another go. As an adult reader, and not a fourteen-year-old girl being forced to read a book about boys at boarding school, I can already tell I am going to appreciate it more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I never read this book though I've always meant to. Same with A Tree Grows in Brookland - did you ever read that one?
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is one of my ALL TIME favorite books! I was THIS close to reading it instead. I'll have to revisit it after I'm done with the boys at Devon School.
I will have to add those to my list!
I stopped reading for fun while I was taking classes, because I had so much required reading, but now that I'm working I have been planning on picking it up again. I use to love to read.
I love re-reading books.
Post a Comment