
Ok, ok, ok. I've been a slacker. A missing blogger. But, this past few weeks have been the busiest in years-- and some of the most exciting. Allow me to help you catch up:
First, I went to Denver for work a few weeks ago. It was a crazy, fast trip-- out from DC and back in 2 days. Most times I fly, I catch a bug. But, I made it there and back in one piece and got on with life.
First, I went to Denver for work a few weeks ago. It was a crazy, fast trip-- out from DC and back in 2 days. Most times I fly, I catch a bug. But, I made it there and back in one piece and got on with life.
The next weekend. as you know, I went to Charleston for a weekend with my girlfriends. I pressed my face to the plane window as we descended over the Lowcountry. The land speckled the water, and rivers and creeks slithered right to left. Pink stained the sky on the right and a smile spread across my face. As soon as I landed, men and women talked to me on the runway as we waited for our gate-checked bags. Strangers. Talking. I was definitely back in Charleston. JB squeezed me at the curb, her signature scent filling my nostrils.
Later that night: "I'm so happy!" I shouted for the umpteenth time. E ducked under my loud and embarrassing voice while C joked that we should count how many times I make that same exclamation. We dined at the beach, a rooftop place, in short sleeves and sandals.
Charleston.
We migrated to W's bar, an oyster roast in progress.
Charleston.
It was one of the best weekends of my life. Saturday night we hit Charleston's newest hot spot. Inside we felt as if we'd entered a zoo specially made for holding all the most beautiful people. Then, a martini bar and hours of dancing, makeup sweating off our faces and hilarious photos snapped, I was reminded again why I love these girls so much. My heart swelled with my cheeks, a smile gracing both.
My flight home Sunday was cancelled because of snow in DC. When I left the airport with my rescheduled ticket in hand, E said, "Well, what did they give you for the cancellation? A free ticket?" I was so happy to spend another day in Charleston, I forgot to even ask.
I spent Monday walking around the city, lunching with old colleagues and shopping. Bare legs in a dress, eighty-degrees, while National airport reopened and cleared snow for my flight that evening.
Though I had the time of my life, nothing could beat seeing Eric that night and feelings his arms around me when he met me at the airport. He reminded me that, while I love Charleston, I'd live in Antarctica if it meant sharing my life with him.
The next weekend, I opened the door to my house. It was Friday afternoon and I was coming home from work, keys in my right hand, work tote in my left. And, the first words out of my mouth as I opened the door, before I even properly entered my home, were, "Are you serious?!"
This was because Eric's first words were, "Will you marry me?"
There I stood, unshowered since I'd been running late for work that morning. I'd justified my smell with saying, "but it's casual Friday," and slipped on jeans before heading out the door. When I came home that afternoon, I held my keys and purse and looked at my love, there on his knee, right inside the door of the apartment we shared.
"Yes, I'm serious," he said tentatively.
"Is this for real?!?!" I asked again. And again. Probably another four times. Each time he said yes, yes, yes, yes.
And, finally, I too said YES, YES, YES, YES! He slipped the most beautiful ring I've ever seen on my left hand and stood up to hug me. Chris Martin sang "Green Eyes" (for obvious reasons, one of my favorite songs) in the background.
Then, he informed me, that he'd videotaped the entire thing! We spent the evening with friends, sharing the funny video of me in my happy disbelief, laughing and loving, sharing this exciting time in our lives with some of those people who mean the most to us.
I am the luckiest girl on the planet. I know every girl thinks this, but really, in my case it could be the truth. Eric fills in the pieces of me that are missing, and the thought of life without him makes me unable to catch my breath. I wish this kind of comfort, love, happiness and fullness for every single person reading this. We are best friends, we are a team and we balance. We are love.
And, with all this excitement, that bug did bite me after all. As I write this, I pause intermittently to blow my nose and take my temperature-- 99.7 degrees at present. Blech...
But then, maybe it's not a flu and a fever Maybe all the warm happiness over the past two weeks has just heated me right up.
1 comment:
Congrats! :)
He seems like a really great guy.
I will definitely look up those articles.
Hope you feel better soon! The three of us all have colds up here. You should hear us while we're sleeping! ;)
Post a Comment