6.14.2007

Who's Got the Aspirin?



A friend at my work is insanely knowledgeable about spa treatments and all her talk got me remembering how I'd like to try out a (ahem) South American hair 'do. I mentioned this notion to her recently. I needed details and information. To my pleasant surprise, she volunteered to be my partner! We then together recruited a third friend, and now the three of us all have consecutive appointments for a 'do of this kind next week.

Now, this isn't something that I've ever done and this tech will certainly be the most random person who's ever been that close to my biz-nass. Hm. In preparation, I've done some extensive research (all right, I Googled). Apparently, next week, I could find myself on all fours (!), or with my legs over the technicians shoulders. Oh dear.
Then, like a good little reporter, I divulged my secret appointment to another friend. I wanted her opinion. I was surprised to hear she'd gotten this little 'do before herself! She mentioned there may be a need for some plucking (!) and that she had to hold her own leg back. Uh-huh. She also prepared me for the heavy application of baby powder after the 'do is done.

When I called to make the appointment, the effeminate, fun-sounding man who answered the phone didn't seem shocked at all that we wanted consecutive appointments, that there were three of us. I asked him if there was anything we should do in preparation. He laughed. Then, he lowered his voice. I pictured him turning toward a corner of the reception desk, wrapping the phone cord around his index finger and looking up toward the ceiling.
He then quietly divulged, "Well, some people take a couple aspirin before the come in."

I said, "We'll probably take a couple shots too, for good measure."

He said, "Well, a glass of wine would work just as well."

I have to disagree with him. This is no glass of wine, candles lit, soft music type situation.

(The last bit of oddness in this particular situation. We Three Waxateers also share the same gynecologist. Think about it.)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Carissa. God knows, have aspirin, shots and wine! It can't hurt to be a little extra prepared.

-Katie Mae