2.01.2008

What was I thinking?

This morning, I plopped on the couch with my banana and V8, flipped on the TV to greet my morning friends-- Matt, Meredith and Al. But instead I was greeted by a hippie man swinging his crazy hair about and his drummer friend playing the most beautiful beat. The panda bears on his drum vibrated and I was mesmorized.

My Morning Jacket played Dondante on Austin City Limits (I'd last been watching PBS, apparently), the song low and mysterious, like a pretty girl behind a candle. It shook me like running into an old boyfriend. How did I forget how much I loved this band just a recent couple years ago?

I didn't turn the channel, I didn't get off the couch, I just started moving. Spine to the left and right. To the front and back. Corners of mouth up up up.

This was so much better than the safest cars in America or how obesity is taking over children or the latest spring fashions. This was beautiful and pretty and me. I left it on and got ready for work.

I'm breaking up with Matt, Meredith and Al. Me and I are getting back together. At least for morning meet-ups. Over music instead of worthless information I don't really care about anyhow.

1 comment:

Sizzle said...

i used to watch morning tv as i got ready for work. then i realized i wanted to listen to music and spend time with me before i fully faced the day. it works for me. :)

my morning jacket is really good.