12.08.2010

from Flow Yoga Center's monthly email today, on following your dreams.  i especially like the suggestion to write yourself a letter from your 80-year-old self.  i don't want to have left out ANYTHING by the time i am 80!  my new year's resolution this year might be to make a life-list, mighty girl style.  i have to admit i have some pretty awesome things under my belt at the ripe old age of 29 (get married sea-side in hawaii to an amazing man, check, hot air balloon, check, ski in the alps, check, surf in hawaii, check, buy (and sell!) a home, check, zip line in costa rica, check, birth a healthy and happy child, check, start a business, check....) but so so so many things left out there.

Journal - Don't waste another moment not living the life of your dreams. Ask yourself "if money and time were no object, where would I be right now? What am I afraid of? How have I been playing it safe? What was I BORN to do or be? How can I make my life more juicy or get out of this rut?



Meditate - The heart often speaks more softly then the mind -- it takes calm and quiet for your deepest desires to emerge.

Rewrite your story - We are a product of the stories we have created for ourselves. Whether it is "I am infertile and will never have a baby" or "I don't deserve to take a break" or "I won't meet my mate unless I lose 20lbs". Practice rewriting your messages (the ones you have been playing over and over again in your mind every time a challenge appears) using cognitive behavior tools.

Use the yoga mat as a mirror into your life - Like my teacher said the other day when we were in ustrasana (camel pose).... why not go a little bit deeper than you normally would? Figure out why you may be holding back or putting up boundaries. Surf past your self-imposed edges and explore. Don't get stuck in your asana. This is the key to evolving in practice and life, yes?



Write yourself a letter from your 80 year old future self - What advice would you give yourself from that future perspective? I bet you won't be reminding yourself that playing it safe is the way to go. Perhaps your wise 80 year old soul will tell you you're crazy to be staying in that job you dislike so much or in that relationship that doesn't feed your soul, right?



Lose the Ego - Don't be afraid if things get messy or if you have some failures along the way.

No comments: