1.13.2007

An Old Love

I gave up three months ago.

I just couldn't take it anymore. It was killing me.

I must admit, there have been times I've been lonely. I've considered it; breaking down for one last time. Sneaking a middle-of-the-night tryst. An escape that no one would know about, except us, of course. We could kiss, lip to lip, inhaling a piece of each other and exhaling happiness and relief into the night air.

We had such a strong relationship, extremely in love. I provided financial support, gave my heart and health and, lots of times, left my friends so we could be together, alone. In return, I received calm, piece of mind and security. I got wet nights on patios in coastal cities, cloaked in darkness and happiness, alone but together with a companion I knew would never leave until I said, "Go."

But, I soon realized, I was a lot of Give and this partner of mine was too much Take. I gave up.

Three months since I lit a cigarette. I even found an old pack in my car while cleaning it today. I chucked them in the big green dumpster with a big *whiter* smile on my happy pink face.

Without all that GRAY clouding my face and thoughts, color just climbs on out.

2 comments:

Sizzle said...

good for you! i quit 3, almost 4, years ago and have never made a wiser decision.

Traci said...

Congrats for quitting!

Never really had any desire or interest to do it, but I know quitting is hard.