
His cell phone pressed to his ear, talking to another friend, recounting for the umpteenth time his ever-growing story, he paused and said, "Wait, what, it's snowing?"
The remote was on the floor and I was on my bare feet before the "g" crossed his lips.
Tearing open the blinds, I smashed my cheek to the cold glass and pointed my eyes up. White stuff was definitely falling from the sky. The first time I'd seen anything but rain fall from the sky in years. The last time, I was in another country and that was three, maybe four, years ago. And, before that, I was a freshman in college. Back then, it lasted for about five minutes-- the first time Charleston had seen snow in ten years. And now, almost ten years since that crazy night when we crowded the streets, fraternity boys streaked and I wore my most warm flip flops to play in the snow, I stood in my apartment in the DC suburb where I live and did a spin and a jump.
"C'mon, let's go play outside!" I shrieked and did a dance. I climbed in my coat and knotted it's belt. Slid on my Elmo-red gloves and grabbed my coffee. Outside, I was amazed. It stuck to the cars and the little flowers that accidentally bloomed last week. It coated the patio outside the Balducci's across the street.
After I pointed out that white patio, he said, "Let's get more coffee." We made our way toward the Balducci's. On the way, I clicked. Red Mini Cooper covered in snow- Snap! White bushes and park bench-- Snap! Documentation of my first adult winter "up north" seemed very important.
"Excuse me, could you take our picture too?" Another couple, behind us, had come outside to play also. I happily assisted them in finding the most snowy bush, waited for them to pose in front of it and used their camera to take a snow day photo of them. They just moved here from Oregon, and I told them I'd recently come from South Carolina. Upon hearing that, they took our picture as well. Two of them.
We got coffee, I talked him out of throwing a snow ball at me, we went back inside and I raised all the blinds so I could see out the window at all times.
It fell all day. And, all day, my perfect Sunday unfolded. I made home made chicken noodle soup. Real chicken, real vegetables, real spices, real noodles, really made by me. I baked cookies. I cleaned our house. I read books and watched mindless TV. Comfort and warmth surrounded me and a smile spread across my face every time I passed a window and observed what was happening outside.
Around eight o'clock, we decided to get out. S'mores and something warm to drink sounded too perfect to stay inside any longer. Again, we bundled ourselves. For the first time, I moved snow off my car. My car has never been so cold. I don't own an ice scraper, and am not even sure I know what one looks like, so instead we used a Frisbee (which, ironically, was only in my car because less than a week before on MLK day, we'd been on the National Mall throwing it with friends in 75-degree weather.) About four years ago, Santa put de-ice spray in my stocking. I used it for the first time last night.
He drove. Slowly. We parked and walked in the snow, the white lights still in the trees lining King Street twinkling over our heads. Happiness poured out of me. Over our own little fire, with melted marshmellows, Hershey's and graham crackers, we laughed about the weekend and talked about the upcoming week.
"Take Five" played overhead and then I knew for sure. This was the most perfect Sunday. I got the winter I'd hoped for. And finished it off with him and S'mores and Dave Brubeck. I couldn't have asked anything more special or perfect.
This morning, I tied on the blue waterproof boots I'd bought for that Europe trip where I'd last seen snow several years ago. It was a miracle I'd known where to find them after moving five times since then. Sacking my heels in my tote, my keys in my hand, I ventured out.
The ice on my rear view mirrors was too thick for the spray de-icer, so that was a bit scary. And, while driving to work, large chunks of ice disengaged themselves from vehicles and pirouetted in the air before landing here and there. Several bombed my car with a loud thud. I screamed, quickly scanned my windshield for cracks, and inched closer to the steering wheel. By the time I arrived at my office, my ab workout for the day was complete. I'd never sat so straight or so tense while driving before.
By this evening, most of my perfect Sunday had melted away. Not only the snow, but also he's working, I hit the gym, worked late and ate a microwave dinner alone. But, that's ok. I'm happy enough knowing that winter came just for me, even if she could only stay for a bit.
The remote was on the floor and I was on my bare feet before the "g" crossed his lips.
Tearing open the blinds, I smashed my cheek to the cold glass and pointed my eyes up. White stuff was definitely falling from the sky. The first time I'd seen anything but rain fall from the sky in years. The last time, I was in another country and that was three, maybe four, years ago. And, before that, I was a freshman in college. Back then, it lasted for about five minutes-- the first time Charleston had seen snow in ten years. And now, almost ten years since that crazy night when we crowded the streets, fraternity boys streaked and I wore my most warm flip flops to play in the snow, I stood in my apartment in the DC suburb where I live and did a spin and a jump.
"C'mon, let's go play outside!" I shrieked and did a dance. I climbed in my coat and knotted it's belt. Slid on my Elmo-red gloves and grabbed my coffee. Outside, I was amazed. It stuck to the cars and the little flowers that accidentally bloomed last week. It coated the patio outside the Balducci's across the street.
After I pointed out that white patio, he said, "Let's get more coffee." We made our way toward the Balducci's. On the way, I clicked. Red Mini Cooper covered in snow- Snap! White bushes and park bench-- Snap! Documentation of my first adult winter "up north" seemed very important.
"Excuse me, could you take our picture too?" Another couple, behind us, had come outside to play also. I happily assisted them in finding the most snowy bush, waited for them to pose in front of it and used their camera to take a snow day photo of them. They just moved here from Oregon, and I told them I'd recently come from South Carolina. Upon hearing that, they took our picture as well. Two of them.
We got coffee, I talked him out of throwing a snow ball at me, we went back inside and I raised all the blinds so I could see out the window at all times.
It fell all day. And, all day, my perfect Sunday unfolded. I made home made chicken noodle soup. Real chicken, real vegetables, real spices, real noodles, really made by me. I baked cookies. I cleaned our house. I read books and watched mindless TV. Comfort and warmth surrounded me and a smile spread across my face every time I passed a window and observed what was happening outside.
Around eight o'clock, we decided to get out. S'mores and something warm to drink sounded too perfect to stay inside any longer. Again, we bundled ourselves. For the first time, I moved snow off my car. My car has never been so cold. I don't own an ice scraper, and am not even sure I know what one looks like, so instead we used a Frisbee (which, ironically, was only in my car because less than a week before on MLK day, we'd been on the National Mall throwing it with friends in 75-degree weather.) About four years ago, Santa put de-ice spray in my stocking. I used it for the first time last night.
He drove. Slowly. We parked and walked in the snow, the white lights still in the trees lining King Street twinkling over our heads. Happiness poured out of me. Over our own little fire, with melted marshmellows, Hershey's and graham crackers, we laughed about the weekend and talked about the upcoming week.
"Take Five" played overhead and then I knew for sure. This was the most perfect Sunday. I got the winter I'd hoped for. And finished it off with him and S'mores and Dave Brubeck. I couldn't have asked anything more special or perfect.
This morning, I tied on the blue waterproof boots I'd bought for that Europe trip where I'd last seen snow several years ago. It was a miracle I'd known where to find them after moving five times since then. Sacking my heels in my tote, my keys in my hand, I ventured out.
The ice on my rear view mirrors was too thick for the spray de-icer, so that was a bit scary. And, while driving to work, large chunks of ice disengaged themselves from vehicles and pirouetted in the air before landing here and there. Several bombed my car with a loud thud. I screamed, quickly scanned my windshield for cracks, and inched closer to the steering wheel. By the time I arrived at my office, my ab workout for the day was complete. I'd never sat so straight or so tense while driving before.
By this evening, most of my perfect Sunday had melted away. Not only the snow, but also he's working, I hit the gym, worked late and ate a microwave dinner alone. But, that's ok. I'm happy enough knowing that winter came just for me, even if she could only stay for a bit.

1 comment:
We got 3.5 inches of snow Saturday night. Cincy got 9 inches and Cleveland got 12. You should come up here sometime to see the snow. I'm ready for spring now, tired already of this 30-degree weather :)
Glad you enjoyed your first snowfall of DC!
Post a Comment