5.20.2007

Gyspies





Round up the kiddies and lock up your houses... the nomads are on the move again.


North West Washington, DC-- that's where we'll be living in less than one month. I wrestled with this move more than I did when we moved from South Carolina to Virginia. Though small and far from my office, this little apartment was our first real apartment together. Eric lost count of my tears and I eventually ran out of Kleenex. We put down a deposit on the new place and told ourselves we still had time to mull it over.


And, mull (some would say obsess) I did!


Cons:


I love the little apartment we live in now. True, Eric moved in with me in Charleston for 2 months before we moved to Virginia. But, really that was my apartment and he slept there for a couple months. This apartment, this little apartment in Old Town, was our first home together. Both our names decorate the bottom of the lease.


Between us, you can't count how many moves we've made in the last year all on one hand. Thoughts of moving again-- from our third floor walk up-- make me want to lose my lunch. This will be the third time I've bagged and boxed, lifted and hoisted, unhung and hung all in one year. DC will be the third "state" I've lived in the past 12 months. This move will make Eric's fourth inside a year. Burp... Oh, here it comes.


We love Old Town. We love it. Our favorite bar/restaurant is just down the street. The bartenders, waitresses and doorman (ok, the doorman is a personal longtime friend, but whatever) know us by name. The town is quaint and has so much character. We walk everywhere.


Pros:


Our new house is twice the size of our current house for a minimal increase in cost. The ceilings are twice as high, the closets twice as plentiful. There is a dishwasher and disposal, neither of which we have now. It's two stories on the top floor and we have an elevator. We have a roof deck with a pool.


My current commute from Old Town to Rockville is an hour to an hour and a half each way during rush hours. I am going insane and my car cries every time I start her up. She too is out of Kleenex. At our new house, the Metro is a half mile away, the Red line takes me right to my office. And, my office pays for the Metro pass. Big Oil=0. Carissa and Eric=1.


Our new neighborhood is fantastic! Between Logan and Dupont Circles, the architecture is gorgeous, the restaurants plenty, and the shopping divine! Caribou, as in Coffee, is our new next-door-neighbor and Whole Foods backs up to our building from the next block down. My favorite yoga place is less than a mile walk. Everyone together now: Om!


So, as you can see, when we weighed it all, moving was the better option. And that's just what we're doing. In three weeks!


We did hire movers this time, however.
Throw up=0. Carissa=1.


3 comments:

kris said...

Wait a second . . . movers PLUS a NW location? Not to mention a roof deck pool? :) You can ALWAYS metro to King Street . . . ;)

GOOD LUCK with your move!

Traci said...

wow, that's awesome you guys are getting a house! yay! will you be taking any pictures? :) how exciting! hope all is well!

with the gas prices these days, yay for having a short commute to the metro!!

Jenny said...

I feel your pain! Ron and I have moved so many times in the four years we've been married...with yet another one coming up. Ugh!

Good luck. Glad you hired movers this time.

P.S. We'll be closer!