
I am currently working on a magazine assignment concerning plastic surgery. Tonight, while conducting an interview, I had the darnedest time hearing the doctor on the other end.
"skldfjjsldkfjslkdjf, silicone kksfdkjhdsfkh more natural lslkdjfjsdklfj saline is salt water sollkdjfslkdjf."
"I'm sorry, I really just cannot understand everything you're saying," I tentatively remarked, pressing my phone harder against my ear. The truth is, I must be going deaf. This happens to me all the time. Eric can sometimes hear my mom across the room from the phone I have pressed against my head when I can barely understand her at all.
The doctor kindly repeats himself and I type as fast as I can.
The end of the interview arrives, time for the details, or at least that's how I work it out.
"Now, it's B-e-r...," I grab the precise spelling of his name. "And, where did you study?" I type, type, type.
He adds, "skjfslkjfskdlfjsdk Bobbit djfljsdlkfjsd penis, slkdkdfjsdkl years ago." I am pretty sure he just mentioned John Bobbit's penis, but I am panicked and not sure. How do I ask him to repeat this and avoid being totally wrong? And, is John Bobbit's first name really John? Maybe I was just excited and heard wrong?
"I'm sorry, did you just say you reattached Mr. Bobbit's penis?" I hold my breath and wait with smile. This is by far the best interview question I have ever had the pleasure of asking.
"Yes," he says, "it is sort of my claim to fame. I was on Geraldo and sdlkfjsdlfkjsdlkf."
Oh ok.
I got to say penis in an interview. And, I interviewed the dude who reattached the famous missing part.
I love my part time job.
1 comment:
This is a hoot! How funny that you happened to be interviewing this particular doctor. And funny too because that is exactly what I feel like (about not being able to hear well) when trying to get quotes.
Post a Comment