7.23.2007

Good Times

One thing I've learned since living here-- summer in DC is totally different than winter, and I'm not just referring to the crappy weather deferment. Aside from less traffic, pleasant weather and tourists, tourists everywhere, young people on nearly every square of concrete pass out or sell information.

They pass out pamphlets and fliers promoting every known cause and some that are still unknown. They collect signatures and administer surveys.

They also sell papers.

Lately, as I leave the Metro station at my office, three young African American men stand outside the station selling the Washington Times paper. Everyone who gets off my train passes right by them. I've often thought about their lack of marketing savvy-- they stand right next to the man who passes out the free paper! However, they do wear laminated signs around their necks. They read "10-cents."

I know this has to be a crappy job. There isn't a man I know who, at 18 or 20 years old, could be paid enough money to stand, at 8am, outside a Metro station in the middle of summer wearing a sign that says "10-cents." So, I admire these guys from afar as I pass by, even though I've thought daily about how they'd sell more papers if they'd change their positioning and drink more coffee before work...

Today, however, the two surprised me with a trick I never considered. They were singing! Ok, really, they were rapping.

"WAAAA-shington Times. WAAAA-shington Times. Just 10-cents!" The first one rapped. "10-cents, I know you got 10-cents. 10-cents, I know you got 10-cents," the other brought the hook. The third beat time on the 10-cent sign around his neck.

I never saw so many dimes.

2 comments:

Sizzle said...

woah- you can still buy something for TEN CENTS?!

Guilty Secret said...

That is genius! I know what you mean, we have a magazine in the UK that homeless people sell and they always call out "Big Issue, please" and I always think: why don't they sell it to me? Tell me what great articles are in it this month!