
One of my first weekends of the yoga training, we did a Chakra Workshop with the Jiva Diva, Alanna. (If you're interested, she was fab and has podcasts for a home practice you can follow.) We blindfolded ourselves and did asanas/poses focused on the chakras.
Now, please know that I am from a small town where yoga is a foreign concept, and I am highly skeptical by nature. But, I'm also curious and fairly open, so here we go.
We did asanas to open our heart chakra, Anahata. We sent love energy to 1-someone who needed it, 2-someone we'd wronged and3- someone who'd wronged us while doing heart opening poses (Wheel, in my case).
I wept.
And then, there that weekend, something happened. Something opened in me.
Protesting monks in Burma? Giant tears.
A Mighty Heart, I am reading it now. Nightly tears.
The little young couple on the Today show who are having the Martha wedding? Sobbing.
A dad holding his little girl on the train? Weeping.
An interview about an engagement story, this afternoon, for an article I'm writing? I actually started crying during my interview. How unprofessional!?
Turns out, I might have been locked up pretty tight, and I hope to get back to a safe neutral soon. I mean, I love feeling so open, but hopefully until then, I don't run out of tissues.
Also, big news! I started a new job at The George Washington University. Also, I'm writing. I'm in yoga every weekend. Oh yes, and I got married and moved a few brief months ago. I'm savoring every moment and know how lucky I am. Lucky that I was born with the talent of juggling.
--
A side note:
Eric bought a new TV. And by TV, I mean a Teeee-Veeee. A Teeee-Veeee and a stand, a sound system, a High Def DVD Player. (I still haven't been through the lesson on how to turn that part on...)
"Go hump your TV," I say to him often. After all, he loves it a lot.
My friend Jo came over on Friday. Eric was working all weekend. On the phone, he asked me, "What did she think of the TV?!!?"
"Um... she thought it was great?" I don't have the heart to tell him we didn't turn it on.
--
I'm really learning so much about life in my class and a change is happening. About being pleasant, open, tolerant, wise and calm. About peace and thought and perseverance. I thought I felt this way before, but now I truly feel like a blossom on the verge of opening. In fact, what I now realize is that I'll spend my entire life opening and may never fully make it. But the point it to work toward that openness as much as possible in every moment of life. Perfection isn't necessary. Only trying.
2 comments:
that's magnificent! i'm sure being that open is a bit raw but still, how woderful. :)
Good to read all these wonderful things going on with you Carissa!
Post a Comment