


Our Goddaughter, Gabi, turned 1 year old this month. Isn't she adorable? When we started to sing Happy Birthday, she started crying because she was so scared. Honestly, can you imagine ten people pushing fire into your face and singing loudly at you? Sounds super scary to me, and if it were new to me, I'd cry too. Anyhow, before and after the singing she was lovely as usual. We love her so much. Here are photos of Gabi afraid to turn 1, Gabi and me and Gabi, Eric and me.
--
I was filling out an address on a Christmas card this week to an old neighbor, the woman who lived next door to us when we lived in Ohio, when I was very small. As I wrote out St. Rt. 229, I had a memory. I used to walk up to my bus driver, tap her on the shoulder, and ask her in an exasperated tone, "Excuse me, today, could you please take us down 229 first?!" Can you imagine? I mean, can you seriously imagine this little know-it-all-toned little girl asking you to do your job differently to accommodate her? I know she never took us that way first, I was always dropped off last, but cannot remember how exactly she answered me. I'm hoping that she laughed at me, because that's exactly what I'd do now if a little girl said something like that to me.
--
We're not getting a Christmas tree. We've both been so damn busy. Yoga, volunteering, new jobs, internships, full-time school, life, life, life. We're full of lifeyness. I know I probably shouldn't care... it's just a tree, it costs us money that we should spend on others or save. It would only be in our house for a very short time. But... but. I feel very sad about it. I don't feel Christmas-y at all. I haven't listened to one Christmas song. Or wrapped a single gift. Where would I put them? On the dining room table? Maybe I will surprise Eric. Maybe a tree will make its way into our apartment this weekend. Maybe.
(I don't know where I can get one in DC? Anyone reading this know anywhere besides Whole Foods? That I can access on foot?? Eric has our car at work... That's the other thing about not getting a tree. We'd have to drive way far away-- like ten whole miles :)-- to get this tree. We don't drive, we share one car, and I couldn't tell you the last time I left DC. Sigh.)
--
Eric did this amazing thing for Christmas for a couple people. I actually just typed out what it was because I am so excited and wanted to share it, but then remembered that people getting his super cool gifts may read this. I just backspaced, a lot. But just know that I really married the coolest guy ever. Honestly, he's a dream and we're super lucky. Well, I am super lucky and I hope that's how he's feeling too.
--
Yoga training is going swimmingly. It's completely changed how I look at life, other people, everything. I love it, of course. I'm teaching a volunteer class at a battered women's shelter, a class at my work once a week. And, once a week, my friends come over and we move the furniture out of the way and they let me practice on them too. I'm getting lots of practice as a teacher, which is awesome. But even more than a teacher, I'm getting lots of practice learning a new way of looking at the world. I know it sounds crazy, and maybe it is, but it's true and hard to explain. Anyway, I graduate in February. I am excited to graduate because it takes up all my weekends. I'm glad I'm busy with something I love instead of something I hate, but I can't wait to have my weekends back.
My friend Courtney and I are practicing the Yamas and the Niyamas together. We're going through the Yamas first, taking one piece per month. This month we're practicing the first Yama, which is Ahimsa, nonviolence. Naturally, we are both pretty nonviolent people, but knowing that everyone has room to improve and practice, we apply this to our lives in practical Urban-Yogi ways. For example, I've cut back my already-meager meat intake, Courtney is curtailing her road rage, I don't internally cuss out the woman who doesn't hold the elevator for me, I try not to think of killing my neighbor who lets his alarm clock sound off for hours. You get the idea. Next month, Satya, truth in word, though and deed. Of course, no one will ever be perfect. But think of how much nicer the world would be with less violence and more truthfulness? And that's just a small piece of all that we'll learn. Cool, huh?
(Also, it is quite interesting how yoga philosophy lines right up with the tenets of Christianity-- and all religions, for that matter...)
--
I did almost all my Christmas shopping online this year. In one evening. Trust me, it is worth the shipping costs to have all done in an hour while wearing sweatpants, drinking red wine and sitting on your couch.
--
I'm still writing, writing, writing too. I just found out that Hagerstown magazine archives old articles online. If you want to read some of what I've written, you can dig around in there. I wrote a first-person essay about my Hawaii wedding for their upcoming HM Bride issue. Look for it next month... there will even be pictures from our wedding!
I've learned that I really prefer writing about people and not things. Things don't really interest me. But people I love. I didn't know I would feel this way, so it's interesting to learn. I could really care less about events, new museums, etc. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love writing and I'll write about anything. But given my preference, I'd pick covering engagement stories over a new dentist office any day.
--
Last bit, I am addicted to a new website called http://www.etsy.com/. There, you can buy a slew of homemade things directly from the person who made them. Isn't that the coolest? Everything is unique and so well-priced. You can get everything there, from clothes, to jewelry, to furniture, to paintings. Go on over and check it out if you haven't already. I most certainly spent time there when I did my Christmas shopping this week...!
2 comments:
Fun to catch up on what's been going on with you. Have a Merry Christmas!
Hmmmm, is that gift from your dreamy husband for me??
Post a Comment