
--------
Eric put up my curtains last night too, with Dan's help. This sounds so mundane, but nope. I have 19 feet windows. And my mom made these curtains. This will be the third set she's made me! Have you any idea how much curtains cost?! If not, just know that I am very lucky that she makes them. They were a wedding gift.
My brother Lucas and my mom's friend, Candi, bought the fabric I liked, and my mom made them herself. Now when I'm in my house alone I am still surrounded by and reminded of the love of my family (yes, Candi is family too even we're not related by blood). They got me something they knew I'd love, my mom worked so hard to make them perfect, calling me several times to verify measurements, and my husband and his friend, Dan (who also feels like family), hung them with care (ok, hung them with care, curse words and a few tools dropped from 15 feet that we were all thankful didn't hit the crawling baby). When I'm here I know there's love.

---------
Last week I went for a jog in DC for the first time since living in the city. I felt like Bart Simpson in that video game where he is on the skateboard and has to dodge all these things in the city. Though it was 6:30am, DC was alive with commuters, men and women setting up hot dog, ice cream and souvenir stands, people sweeping and/or spraying the sidewalk. Just as I was missing the Charleston breeze I used to take for granted as I ran on the waterfront there, a bus blew past me, stirring up some air. Not nearly the breeze I'd hoped for, but at least it was cooling. I ran to the National Mall where I circled up toward the Capitol dome. I was amazed. I missed my waterfront, but this had its appeal too. The barely orange sun-kissed sky, the moisture still on the grass and the dome there, so big in front of me. Amazing. On my way back, a security guard outside the Reagan building was flagging me. I could barely hear her with the music in my ears. Quickly, as I glanced her way, she made a big smile and pointed to her chest and then to mine. She gave me the thumbs up.
"I like your shirt!" She yelled through cupped hands. My shirt that says SOUTH CAROLINA across the front. Smile. I like it too.
----------
I went to NYC on business a couple weeks ago. Eric was off so he came too. We took the train there, which I loved. It was my first time on an Amtrak. NYC was so big and busy. I loved it but realized I wouldn't choose to live there. When we stepped off the Metro back in Dupont Circle, I literally sighed a breath of relief and felt at home. At home. This was most certainly the first time I felt at home here. It shocked even myself. I knew that if DC feels small to me now, some changes have certainly happened within and around me.
-----------
Just over a week ago, I had surgery. It was minor, outpatient. I'd love to say I had a boob job or tummy tuck, but nothing nearly as glamour has been altered on yours truly. Though it was a wimpy little outpatient trip, I received phone calls from everyone who mattered to me before the surgery and the day-of. I cannot tell you how much that meant to me. Everyone, despite their busy lives, schedules and pressures somehow remembered to call me. Two friends sent cards and I even had a delivery of flowers and cookies. I couldn't help but feel so loved and lucky, a reminder everyone needs every once in a while (or in certain cases, quite often).
-----------I've been accepted to a Yoga Teacher Training course this fall. It's for 6 months of weekends beginning in September. I still haven't decided if I'm ready to take it on. It's a big responsibility and commitment: it will take up both days of nearly every weekend between September and February and it costs a whole lot of money. But just when I was sure I was ready to sign up and pay my first deposit, this conversation happened:
Me: Can you believe it's August?
My friend, Katie: Time goes by so fast when we're busy!
Me: I know. At least it's almost Fall, my favorite.
Katie: Yeah, but Fall will go by fast for you.
Me: Why?
Katie: Because you'll be in yoga!
Me: Oh. Right.
Needless to say, I still haven't paid my deposit. (Katie was one of the flower/cookie deliveries and I do love her dearly!) I love autumn so much and here in DC it's a real autumn. I want to appreciate every minute of it before it becomes winter again. Decisions, decisions...
----------
More life, coming up tomorrow. For now, I got to unplug, recharge.
Also known as sleep.
1 comment:
1. So cute!
2. I know, curtains cost a fortune!
3. Sounds beautiful...
4. That is great :)
5. Glad to hear you're ok.
6. Congratulations on getting accepted... are you going to go for it?
And... we're all caught up :)
Post a Comment